Published by Penguin on 2018-06-12
Genres: Paranormal, Paranormal Romance, Shifters
Buy on Amazon
New York Times bestselling author Nalini Singh dives beneath the surface of her Psy-Changeling world into a story of passionate devotion and selfless love...
Security specialist Bowen Knight has come back from the dead. But there's a ticking time bomb in his head: a chip implanted to block telepathic interference that could fail at any moment--taking his brain along with it. With no time to waste, he should be back on land helping the Human Alliance. Instead, he's at the bottom of the ocean, consumed with an enigmatic changeling...
Kaia Luna may have traded in science for being a chef, but she won't hide the facts of Bo's condition from him or herself. She's suffered too much loss in her life to fall prey to the dangerous charm of a human who is a dead man walking. And she carries a devastating secret Bo could never imagine...
But when Kaia is taken by those who mean her deadly harm, all bets are off. Bo will do anything to get her back--even if it means striking a devil's bargain and giving up his mind to the enemy...
FTC: I bought the book.
Book Tags: #PNR #Series-book #keeper-shelf #shapeshifters #water-shifter #mates #previous-trauma #alpha-male #heroine-to-adore
Content Warnings : Kidnapping, Rape (mental. Referred to as rape), Abuse.
Heat – Level: 3/5. Lots of fade to black scenes
Author-style: Nalini Singh is the queen of world building. This book has lots of descriptive prose to create vivid images. This is written in third POV.
Quick Scores :
- Heroine – Kaia is a strong, maternal female who is comfortable in her world and always does what needs to be done. She has mental scars that cause barriers to her moving on but her strength is amazing.
- Hero – I adore Bo. He has grown since the first time we met him and, now, he is strong leader who works hard for his people. He never ever made decisions and choices for her, wooing her whilst relishing in her strength.
- Romance – 5/5. It is insta-love however it isn’t insta-HEA and there are lots of emotional and physical barriers to overcome.
- Plot – 5/5. This is part of a series and, although I truly do not think you can read this without reading the entire series, you could probably get away with only reading the last book to keep up with the overarching plot. The setting, the characters, the writing …. it’s just all so fabulous.
- Cover – 5/5. The UK cover is lovely!
- Re-read? – Abso-fucking-lutely.
Favourite Part :
The setting of this book is an underground city, set amongst a plethora of different water-changelings. It was wonderous and fabulous – I do hope we see more books set within the ocean cities as I was fascinated.
“Hmmm.” Carlotta’s censorous tone had them both looking at her. “I don’t hold with wolf-whistling”
“Coma-brain,” Bowen said. “I should get to use that as a free pass at least once a day.”
“Orcas, sharks, women with tentacles who purred suggestive promises at him across the room, it all sounded like a drug fueled dream.”
What didn’t work for me?
Honestly, there was nothing. This is one of the best books I have read by Nalini Singh – I have nothing to complain about.
Thanks for the review.